Friday, August 27, 2010

Cool Technology of the Week

In my recent hiking trip on the John Muir trail, I limited my pack weight to 10 pounds so that I could cover 25 miles a day.

Some backpacks weigh 4-5 pounds when empty.

Mine weighed 13 ounces. It could have weighed 6 ounces if I gave up a bit of durability.

I used the Zpacks Dyneema X 26 holding 2,600 cubic inches.

Dyneema Gridstop is a heavy duty 4.2 oz/square yard. Each white Dyneema thread can hold over 150 lbs. A secondary ripstop grid is angled at 45 degrees.

I've successfully used Dyneema for my outdoor activities for years.

It's abrasion resistant, puncture resistant, and completely sufficient for supporting typical backpack gear weights.

As I hiked, I watched numerous people struggling with 35-50 pound packs.

My advice - start with an 13 ounce pack and only carry what you'll need. You'll enjoy the experience instead of struggling with every step.

A 13 ounce backpack that's stronger than steel - that's cool.

4 comments:

TWM said...

What kind of sleeping bag?

John Halamka said...

Marmot Hydrogen - a 30 degree bag that weighs 1lb 5oz.

Anonymous said...

Is your food included in that 10 lbs? That's amazing! I carried a way too heavy pack this summer out of Agnew Meadows, and food was a major part of it.

P Chang said...

Hi John,

After grunting and wheezing after my Scouts in New Mexico last summer, I converted to ultralight for a 7 day 50 mile walk from Leavitt Meadow to Dorothy Lake and the sister lakes (Ruth, Harriet, Bonnie) north of Yosemite a week ago. Tarptents rule. And you can be lost (er, detour) way longer with less on your back.

Pancho